Sunday, October 13, 2013

Why I like being a Minimalist?

Mum always liked procuring things. When we got the second sofa set, she could not discard the first one. Daddy bought her the second refrigerator and she looked for places in the house where she could keep the old one. Our house was full of goods and there was literally no place to idly roam around. Everyday dusting the house took her more than 2 hours. I asked her if things would be simpler if she had less things to take care of inside the house. She agreed that I was right but she would find happiness when guests would compare the two sofa sets and tell her which was prettier.

I have nothing against them who buy things more than necessary, who have things ready for 4 generations to use (assumption being the cutlery in fashion today would be the one two centuries later), who think of those 100 occasions where they might have a gathering of 5 or 20 or 50 people and how can they be best prepared for those occasions (most of which might never happen), who wish to flaunt with those 2 dozen dinner sets explaining others where they bought each from and how do they maintain them, I really have nothing against these guys but I don’t like that extra work which comes to me not because I like it but because it helps me show off my wealth. Not doing that extra work gives me ample of time to focus on my hobbies, to spend time with my family, to travel, to be at ease and not worry about the 10th Closet in the house or the 3rd dining table.

I wish if Minimalism could become the next fad and people stop indulging themselves in things they don’t like or are pursuing them just for the sake of show-off or maintain a status in the society. As the world is approaching towards a knitted knowledge industry, I think how much one knows will be of higher value than those goods which depreciate over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment