Sunday, March 14, 2010

caution: when you see couples

I was walking back from office and was thinking if I should get something from the bakery to eat. All of a sudden, I saw a man and a lady standing next to me. They were in their late forties to mid-fifties. The man was tall, well-built, holding a “jhola”(loose-bag) by his side. The lady was thin, short, well-dressed in a chiffon saree and looking at me as if she had found her lost daughter. Both of them spoke to each other in hindi. They said things as if they had rehearsed it n number of times. The story was something like this: “Beta (literal meaning: son but commonly used for addressing people of a younger generation than you), you seem to be a person who will understand hindi and will give consideration to our problem. We are here in Bangalore for a Pilgrim visit but last night we have been looted. All our money is looted and we are left with nothing. We have not eaten anything since morning and have no money left to go to the railway station”. Then they showed me another couple (almost of their age) who were reciting the same story to a group of girls who just seemed uninterested in whatever they were telling. The lady called the couple her brother and sister in law. They came back to me and requested me to believe them. They asked me for 70 rupees so that they could buy something to eat and then buy tickets to go to the railway station. They started surrounding me as if they were going to kidnap me. I started mumbling “hanuman chalisa” in my mouth and ran from the place without letting them complete the story. They came behind me, followed me and pleaded me to help them. I stopped walking only when I found the owner of the home that i was living. Just as they saw him, they stopped following me. Don’t know, if I did the right thing, if I made a poor couple starve, but then I felt very relaxed after reaching home.

No comments:

Post a Comment